Managing the Public Service: Strategies for Improvement Series
Promoting Good Governance
This book aims to show that a strong and achieving public service is a necessary condition for a competitively successful nation. The concept of good governance is linked with institutionalised values such as democracy, observance of human rights and greater effectiveness of the public sector.
Public Sector Reform in Developing Countries
A country-by-country synopsis of the public sector reform programmes in 40 Commonwealth developing countries, with a profile of each country and an outline of the reform initiatives, implementation processes, achievements and problems encountered.
The Contract System of Employment for Senior Government Officials
This publication reviews the effects of the reforms implemented under the new public management programme on the roles and conditions of service of permanent secretaries and directors in Botswana, Ghana, Uganda and Zambia.
Designing Performance Appraisals
This is an examination of the ways and means of designing performance appraisal systems as a result of the public sector reforms taking place in many Commonwealth countries. It looks at ways of designing and institutionalizing performance management measures.
- Agriculture Expand or collapse me
- Democracy and elections Expand or collapse me
- Debt and finance policy
- Economic development
- Education, gender and health Expand or collapse me
- Law and human rights Expand or collapse me
- Oceans and natural resources Expand or collapse me
- Public administration and governance Expand or collapse me
- Small states Expand or collapse me
- Sport for development and peace
- Trade Expand or collapse me
- Youth policy