Universal Periodic Review: Lessons, Hopes and Expectations
This book examines the UN Human Rights Universal Periodic Review (UPR) mechanism two years after its inception. It draws together the lessons of Commonwealth countries’ experiences in 2008 and 2009, and hopes and expectations for the future of UPR.
Child Rights in the Commonwealth: 20 Years of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) acknowledged the modern understanding of childhood. It formulated what children can expect as a set of rights as distinct from welfare or kindness from adults. This book examines the importance of child rights, and provides an overview of the key themes of the CRC.
Human Rights in the Commonwealth: A Status Report
Presents a comprehensive survey of the state of human rights, as measured by each country's formal engagement with the main international standards and norms, across the fifty-three member countries of the association. This report also includes articles on key human rights themes of global relevance.
- Agriculture Expand or collapse me
- Democracy and elections Expand or collapse me
- Debt and finance policy
- Economic development Expand or collapse me
- Education, gender and health Expand or collapse me
- Law and human rights Expand or collapse me
- Oceans and natural resources Expand or collapse me
- Public administration and governance Expand or collapse me
- Small states Expand or collapse me
- Sport for development and peace
- Trade Expand or collapse me
- Youth policy