Labour Markets in Small Developing States
This book explores the approaches to this challenge adopted by governments of smaller states across the world and considers the effectiveness of the particular strategies adopted. It also explores the role of labour migration, particularly the emigration of skilled labour, in this process.
The book will be of value to national economic planners, labour market economists, and all those who seek to ensure the successful development of the economies of the world’s smaller states.
About the contributors
1. Labour Markets and Human Resource Development in the Caribbean by Andrew S Downes
2. Migration and Commonwealth Small States: The Case of Teachers and Nurses by Roli Degazon-Johnson
3. Pacific Islands Labour Market: Issues and Challenges by Mahendra Reddy
4 Labour Markets and Human Resources Development in the Small States of Africa and the Indian Ocean by Happy Siphambe
Andrew S Downes (Editor)Andrew S Downes PhD is Professor of Economics and University Director, Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados.
Roli Degazon-Johnson (Author)Roli Degazon-Johnson PhD is Education Adviser, Social Transformation Programmes Division, Commonwealth Secretariat, London, United Kingdom.
Mahendra Reddy (Author)Mahendra Reddy PhD is Associate Professor of Economics, School of Economics and Associate Dean, Faculty of Business and Economics, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
Happy Kufigwa Siphambe (Author)Happy Kufigwa Siphambe PhD is Associate Professor and Head, Department of Economics, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana.
‘It is very refreshing to see another excellent publication tackling a subject matter that has been in the sights of the Commonwealth Secretariat (ComSec) for a good many years.’
- Agriculture Expand or collapse me
- Democracy and elections Expand or collapse me
- Debt and finance policy
- Economic development Expand or collapse me
- Education, gender and health Expand or collapse me
- Law and human rights Expand or collapse me
- Public administration and governance Expand or collapse me
- Small states Expand or collapse me
- Trade Expand or collapse me
- Youth policy